Thursday, January 22, 2009

President Obama: A Perspective

I watched the inauguration and stood, along with my son Mitchell, as President Obama was sworn in as the next president of the United States and was happy. I was happy for a few reasons:

First, because Obama rhymes with Mama and that is what I am!

Second, to see and celebrate the peaceful exchange of power within a nation. For over 200 years we come together as a nation, and witness this change and celebrate it, setting aside our political view for a moment to recognize the great hope that is democracy--that the voice of the people has been heard. Not many countries can claim such a peaceful resignation of power so consistently. That is truly something to celebrate.

Third, I celebrate the fact that we have a black president. I feel it is historic. We have come a long way from our past. Really. When President Obama made mention that he stood at that podium addressing our great nation as the new president, when not so long ago his father would not have been served in a restaurant, I realized what an amazing social transition was able to take place in one generation. Good for you America! It brings me joy. On election day, I was deeply moved when I witnessed many blacks crying at the thought that they too can be president. Yes, You Can! Can you imagine what hope that gives young black men: to see a black man holding the highest position in office. A man who had nothing given to him, but had to work for everything he earned. A man who came from a very supportive family, but with very modest means. Like him if they work hard enough they too can become president? Yes You Can! It makes me a little giddy! really!. I can't help but think of all the kids who crossed my door into my classroom. I tried to teach them that they have the power within them to be great. That words are power and to educate themselves will make great change in their lives, but who am I, a white woman talking to them. I don't know how much credibility I had, when they had their real life experiences teaching them otherwise, but they knew I loved them and wanted them to succeed. However to see it happen, for them to see that it can be done, that is where the money is. They will believe us now! I am curious how this will effect black pop culture. How will this historic event sway the hip hop/ rap scene. What music, art and poetry will be created now, will there be themes of hope. . . I bet there will be! As an educator, citizen, mother, I celebrate this!

Finally I have hope he will be a great leader and lead us into change that will benefit our country. While I don't agree with all of his politics, I still hope he will be a great leader, one who can invigorate this nation, shake us out of complacency, and bring hope. I can't help but feel hopeful when I listen to him. I can't help but feel that the call he makes to each one of us to make more responsible choices, to appeal to the higher sense of ourselves, to reach out to others to make change, to become involved in our communities, to prioritize our children, to make tough choices that will benefit our world, our future and the future of our children is a call from a leader who will lead us into change. I can't help but think that he is right. A great leader inspires those around him/her. I have hope he can be such a leader. The power of democracy is in the people. We are the ones who make a difference.

Why do I feel this hope? Why do I like what Obama has to say, because he says that this country is great, and it is great because of its people, and whatever challenges come our way, we will rise to that challenge and triumph over it. Because of our heritage, our founding documents, and our values as a nation, despite the differences in race, religion, social status, and politics, we will come together and garner strength in one another and overcome. I believe it. And I believe him.

For two years I have received many emails and seen many posts about then senator Obama. Most of them have been negative and emotionally charged, some of them bigoted and fearmongering in nature. At the time, I was undecided about my vote, however, I was not persuaded or impressed by such efforts to influence my vote. After the inauguration I was curious what people people might say and was not surprised to see that of my friends that commented none were positive. That is perfectly okay with me. I am not offended, just curious why so many people dislike him so much.

Knowing that most of my friends and family may not agree with my stance that Barack Obama can be a good president. They feel that more conservative economic policies would better serve our country(in some cases this may be true, however, no conservative president has been able to overturn Roe vs Wade since it's decision although we would hope to be the case) I would like to call all my friends and family to engage in a discussion about President Obama and his policies. I have already heard from some of you on Facebook and have enjoyed the exchange of ideas there. I am coming to this with an open mind and ready to learn and discuss. Please feel free to share your ideas. I am looking forward to it. I want to hear what you have to say.

Post Script: I want to make plain that I do not support abortion or the freedom of choice act. I am pro life. My above statement was simply acknowledging that a change in the roe v wade decision has not come to pass while a pro life president has been in office.

5 comments:

Suzette Swallow said...

Stacy thanks so much for your comments on my blog and our dialogue on facebook. I love reading and listening to people who think slightly different than I do and understanding where they are coming from. You said in your comment over on my blog that FOCA does not have in its 'wording' that minors can have an abortion without parental consent or that partial birth abortions are allowed except for very few circumstances. I have read the bill multiple times and you are entirely correct, the legislation itself does not say that. It is similar to what happened with Prop 8, the 6 consequences we kept on telling everyone about and why this would be bad if it didn't pass were not explicitly in the wording of the prop, but because of the prop these things would have happened. Prop 8 didn't say, if it doesn't pass, LDS family services will have to close its doors because they will not place a child with a homosexual couple. It was simply a result if the prop did not pass. I say that because this is the case with FOCA. The bill does not say some of the things that will happen but there are very serious consequences that will come to pass. What FOCA seeks to do is repeal the partial birth abortion ban that President Bush signed into law. FOCA will be the Supreme law of the land, in terms of abortion laws. FOCA does not say minors have to get consent and since FOCA is a federal law it strikes down states restrictions on abortion, such as forcing minors to get parental consent. I hope I explained that clearly, I did not do it justice, my comparative politics professor did a better job.

Miriam Lee said...

YEEEEEEEHAW!!!!! GO STACY HEATH!!!! I do not care WHAT people believe...but I jump for joy at one who can stand up for their beliefs and opinions in a graceful, open manner!!! I almost didn't vote in November!! How tragic that would have been to not partake of that freedom. But I just wasn't "sold". In the end I did vote--and it was not for Obama. But I KNEW he would win. It was a bit of a cop-out on my part. And when he did win, I was happy. My kids knew nothing of the election last year. But this week Ellie's kindergarten class watched the President take office. She came home thrilled to know that "Barrack Obama is our new president mom. And he's the first ever black president. The first one EVER on the planet!!!" What a GOOD kindergarten teacher she has!!!! History in the making and my daughter knew and was excited about it. (Not thanks to me.) She saw him in our local newspaper last night. She was all excited and recognized him. She called to Logan, "Hey bud, come see....this is Barrack Obama. He's our new president and he's the only one who's ever been black." It just made my heart smile to see my kids taking part in this historical event. Untouched from the opinions of others. (Including mine and Darin's.) Just excited about the event, and the position he holds. A position that demands respect, and requires our prayers. Happy to say that as a parent, I will follow through on that end. History has been made, it is what it is. And now we run with it!!!! We teach our children to run with it!!!

Quarantine Coronacation said...

After posting, I was asked by a dear friend, whom I love, what my stance on abortion is. I was concerned that I have sent out the wrong message to you all. I am pro life. I feel that abortion should not be used as birth control. However, I did vote for Barack Obama, a pro choice candidate. And now Barack Obama is making executive decisions to fund planned parenthood programs in Africa and other third world counties.

So what does that mean. How much federal money goes to actually aborting fetus'. Although people find planned parenthood to be synonymous with abortion, it is also about education and reproductive health. Because of my experience teaching sex ed in the Middle School, I was able to work with nurses hired by planned parenthood to teach abstinence to the 7th graders that were there. Abstinence was the focus. They taught them ways to say no, about STD's and about the anatomy of male and female body, about birth control again focusing on abstinence.

The goal was to educate the youth about why abstinence was the best choice for them. I know that planned parenthood is more than just abortion. Although I do not condone abortion, I do support the other programs that they offer: reproductive health, birth control,pregnancy and prenatal care, relationships, women's health issues, men health issues, tools for parents etc. These are health topics and can benefit those who do not have the support--mainly the poor.

Riverside Co has one of the highest teen birth rates in CA. It was for this reason that the federal monies were sent to support the program that the 7th graders in my school were able to take part in. If I didn't know this about planned parenthood, I would be more apt to jump up and say no way, Don't send our money over to third world countries to support those programs. But if the programs are about educating the women about their bodies and that they have choices, then I am less against it.

So I have some questions that I am going to try to answer, 1) how much of our federal dollars are spent on actual abortions and how much is spent on the educational programs. 2) Are these programs similar to the ones created here in the United States?

I am grateful again for the conversations that I have had. I am grateful for being challenged and am striving to look at this with an open mind. I realize how important it is to look closely at all the issues and not take things for granted. In the pit of my stomach, I fear that I took my vote a little to lightly. In a sense, I washed my hands of the roe v wade decision, feeling that that decision happened a long time ago and my vote now won't affect it. That my element of control is within my own family. I pray that I didn't make the wrong choice. I hope that I didn't over simplify the issue. I am going to research it fully so that if I did I won't make that mistake again.

Again, I want to know percentages and what programs our monies are sponsoring. I will report back, not that anyone is paying attention. This may be a conversation that I am having with myself. But if someone is paying attention, since I have started this conversation, I am not going to let it lie.

Brenda said...

Hey Stac, As you know, I am NOT a blog person. You and I speak almost everyday on the phone, and we have shared a very close relationship for over 30 years. There isn't a topic or subject that is too sensitive to talk about, and like any great friend, on several things we have agreed to disagree. You have asked me many times to come on your blog and share my opinons and I never felt the need because when we dialogue, it's between you and I, and not the several unknown people who serf your blog. Having said that, I am stepping out of my comfort zone in an attempt to support your written exploration on this very delicate subject of abortion. This will be one of many things I would like to share. I am actually going to be late for church now :) so I will keep this brief. I appreciate your perspective on planned parenthood and all the GREAT things that are taught. However, for the "9" wonderful things it might bring to society, the "1" lie, aborting a human being, is something I cannot support. Sadly, Obama didn't seperate the good from the bad, and we are now forced to get all "10". I have a favor to ask. Please go to Google and search "partial birth abortions". On the 4th line down there are 2 videos. I am asking you to watch the shorter, 1 min. 29 sec. illustrated video. It is used as an instructional tool to teach abortionist how to perform the procedure. As you know, my daughter was a 3 pound preemie. She was born at 32 weeks. The difference between the video you will see and the birth of my daughter is 8 weeks...

Brenda said...

Sorry, I didn't mean to spell surf wrong, ha!