Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Changing of The Light

Do you ever need to get away, get out of the house, vamoose? A few days ago I needed a little quiet time. I don't get much of that with seven people living under the same roof, and four of them under the age of 10. Our house is very lively and full of joy most of the time (I am blessed with very happy children). But sometimes, when you need some time to think, time to reflect, a little quiet is nice. So a few days a go, when Mitchell needed a ride to work, I volunteered and got in the car and headed north in our town up, up, up to where the pavement ends and the earth begins. It was silent there but for the song of birds. the humming of the electrical lines and the wispy breeze cutting through the grasses. It was just what I needed. I took some reading material, bottle of water and sat up on top of my car gazed at the valley below. I took a few deep breaths and began to relax and ponder. That's when I noticed it: The changing of the light. It was about 6:00pm and the shadows were long. The sun was slowly melting into the west and casting its amber light on us. The light had changed and fall was approaching. The rose light of summer was fading.

It left me with a happy feeling. I love fall, although we don't really get to experience it here in Southern CA, I mean a true fall where the trees change color and then shed their leaves. That is one thing I miss from my childhood living in Chicago. Fall meant cooler weather, wearing sweaters, and a reprieve from the humidity of the summer; fall meant red, yellow and orange leaves littering the streets of downtown Downers Grove where we would parade our homecoming floats; fall meant apple picking and fresh apple cider; fall meant the changing of the light. It happened in Chicago too, although the shadows didn't seem to be as long as they are here, but the amber light always signaled the new season. I always welcome the change.

After watching the sun disappear into the earth and seeing the steely blue hues of dusk envelop me, I turned east again and saw the moon. It was immense. The silver-blue orb stood watch over our valley. It was beautiful and I had to take it in for a few more moments. I felt peaceful and grateful for that hour. The keeper of the night stood silently still in the sky as I got down into the drivers seat, turned on my head lights and headed south, down, down, down and back home.

3 comments:

Stewarts said...

Beautiful post Stacy. I have always felt that going to higher ground clears my head too. Are you referring to that moon on Monday night? UN-REAL! I tried to take pictures but I needed a better camera. I love ya!

Allison said...

Come to Minnesota and I will give you fall my dear friend. I love how you found the beauty in the subtle shifting of the light. You rock!

Unknown said...

Reading your blog is like reading a really good book. It's almost like I'm right there with you enjoying the moment. You have a talent for describing ordinary tings in a beautiful way.