Saturday, September 20, 2008

Lil' Lucy



Children have the most amazing power of persuasion. . . I mean, don't they?. . . is it just mine? Or is it that I am a big push over? I will tell you the story and let you be the judge.

I think it was about the first of August that one little Ems decided. . .

"Mom, I want my own, pet, one that is only mine. I don't want to have to share it with anyone else."
"So you want a pet huh? I understand, but Ems we already have two pets that need to be cared for and loved. Let's take care of our own pets."

Well, I thought that I handled that well. I didn't stutter. I spoke plainly. I felt I listened, validated and then gave an answer that was direct. Score one for MOM!

The next day.

"Mom, guess what I am thinking about?. . ."

"What's that Ems?"

"My new pet. I know what I want. . .," a long pause, "don't you want to know what I want?"

"What pet do you want Ems?"

"I want a hamster. Casey and Lindsay say that it is only $10 for the hamster and only $20 for the cage. I am going to buy a hamster with my allowance. I am going to save up and buy the hamster myself." I was stunned. She could buy the hamster by herself? That just about takes me out of the loop. I found myself scrambling for something to say--some form of rebuttal.

Ah Ha!

"Well, Emma, if you want to buy your own hamster, you will have to take care of it entirely. That is a lot of responsibility. You need to prove that you can take care of your current pets before you will be able to have permission to purchase one on your own." Phew! That was a close one, I am sure it bought me some time.

"Okay mom. I can take care of Kiki Lila! I will feed her and give her water every day. And if I do that can I get a hamster?" At this point Emma's enthusiasm is building and she is speaking in high pitched shrieks while jumping up and down shaking her hands.

"Emma, now calm down, don't get too excited. I have to see that you can be a good pet owner, all on your own. You have to show me that you are responsible. By the way you will also have to change the kitty litter every day."

"WHAT? the kitty litter. Moooommmmmmm, that's GROSS!"

"Emma, you will have to change the hamsters cage etc, so you must do this to show that you are mature enough for all that responsibility."

"Okay, I will do it!" She said it with confidence and determination. She'll do it? She wasn't discouraged? It's not that I wanted her to fail, I just didn't really want to have another pet!

Score one for Ems

Emma went right to work taking care of our Kiki Lila. She fed her and gave her water every day. She changed the kitty litter every day and she did all this WITHOUT BEING ASKED!

All the while, each day, every day, many times through out the day, Emma would approach me and say, . . .

"Hey Mom, do you know what would make me happy?"
"What Emma?"
"If I got a hamster!"

"Hey mom, I got an idea,"
"What's that Ems?
"Let's go to Petsmart and look at hamsters"

"Hey Mom, I have something important to tell you,"
"Really Emma? is it about school?"
"No, it's that I want a hamster."

"Mom, can I tell you something?"
"Does it have to do with a hamster?"
"No,"
"What is it Emma?"
"Can I get a bonus on my allowance so that I can buy a hamster."

"Mom, if I can get a hamster, I will wash the dishes every night forever!" Looking back now, maybe I should have taken her up on that one.

"Mom I have a great idea for a birthday gift for daddy!"
"What Emma?
"Let's get him a hamster and I will take care of it for him!"

These are just a few of the tactics that she used on me INCESSANTLY. I was finally glad when school started so that I could have a reprieve from her hammering rapid fire hamsters messages into my consciousness. However, I was very impressed with her work ethic. She did everything she was supposed to do and she did it well.

While putting Emma to bed, the lights were off and I was kissing her good night, Emma wrapped her arms around my neck and whispered, Mom, it would make me so happy if I could have a hamster. It would make my dreams come true."

"Ems, I must admit, you are proving to be very responsible. I will talk to dad and we shall see. There is no guarantee however. I am not saying we will get one tomorrow, but we will talk about it."

"Thank you mom. I love you."
"I love you too."

I thought that the talk to dad tactic would buy me at least a few more months, but Emma went right to the source herself and began working on him. Before I knew it, he was checking out cages on craigs list. Daddys have a hard time saying no to their little girls.



Score one for Ems

A week later, Lil Lucy was a part of our family

So, are all kids this persuasive, is it just my kids, or is RICHARD a big pushover! HA!

9 comments:

Stewarts said...

Did you ever wonder how we ended up with two turtles? The dad. Or how about a puppy AND a kitten within one week of each other? Yep, you guessed it the dad! And who takes care of them all most of the time? The mom!;) But Lucy IS darling.

Keith and Jennie said...

Now THAT's determination!!! lol

Liz said...

I love Lucy so much that I want a hamster now! I agree with Aundrea, who got our dog-Jason. And who persuaded me to get the second dog-Jason (but we didn't keep her for long). And when we take Hailey into a pet store to "LOOK" at puppies for fun who always is a sucker and tells me he is ok with another dog-Jason. But I do think the answer to your question is all three. What a great story! Enjoy Lucy...

Allison said...

Lucy is pretty darn sweet looking, for a rodent. I hope that Kiki Lili does not find Lucy unattended one day. I think the star of this story is the master negotiator- Emma! She demonstrated such determination, motivation and deserves congratulations! Can't wait to meet the newest member of the family!! Great story Stacy-

Lauren said...

Ha...that's classic! Emma totally had you beat on that one. Landon's been pulling the same thing on me lately...I'm still holding out.

Michele said...

Hey Stacy! I found your blog because we both love "Something's Gotta Give." Your family is adorable. We are Disneyland fans too and I have a brother in law who lives minutes from the Red Rocks in Nevada. Small world! I'm turning 40 in two weeks (AAAHHH!) and I feel the same way you do about having much to learn!
Have fun with the hamster. Hopefully Emma's enthusiasm will last!
Have a great day!

Michele said...

Sorry - forgot to mention it - I'm LDS too! Jurupa Stake in Riverside.
CTR!

brynna cadman said...

You guys are both pushovers! Our motto was always just say no. So, just ask our kids - they were the most deprived children on the planet and I bet their houses will be filled with pets so their children won't be deprived like they were. HA! But alas, it is all in the past now and I think pets are great - (for everyone else ; )

brynna cadman said...

You guys are both pushovers! - but in a good way. Our motto was always just say no. So, just ask our kids - they were the most deprived children on the planet and I bet their houses will be filled with pets so their children won't be deprived like they were. HA! But alas, it is all in the past now and I think pets are great - (for everyone else ; )