Thursday, October 9, 2008

Lucy on the Loose!

Anyone who ever even considers getting a hamster knows the inevitable will happen: It will get loose. There are many possible scenarios to such an event, the worst of which is that the little ball of fur may end up stuck in your walls, die of starvation, begin to decay releasing a stench that won't leave until you end up having to break into your wall to clear out the offending corpse, not pleasant. Can you tell that I have mulled that one over in my mind. My fears came true on Wednesday--well kind of. . .

While I was visiting my dad in Oceanside, and right in the middle of the Presidential debate, I got a phone call from Emma:

"Mom," says a small voice.

"Yes Emma?" I am a concerned something is wrong.

"Mom, I have some bad news,"

"What honey? what happened?"

"Kiki Lila got into our room and knocked down Lucy's cage and she is missing." Emma's voice is beginning to raise. Her words are quickening and building into a crescendo "Mom, I miss her. We can't find her, we looked every where, we don't know where she is!"

"Emma, don't worry, you will find her. She's okay. Did you look in your closet?"

"Yes, she wasn't there."

"Did you look under your bed?"

"Yes we looked under the bed and behind the book case and EVERY WHERE! What if we can't find her. I miss her. I love her so much." It is evident due to Emma's shaky voice that tears are about to well up in her eyes.

"Don't worry you will find her. Did you say a prayer?"

"No, I will say a prayer."

"Okay and I will say one too."

"Mom, if we can't find her can we get another hamster?"

"Keep looking Emma, you will find her."

"Yeah but if we can't can we go to the pet store and buy another one," that's all I need are two dead hamster corpses in my walls, "Can we mom, Daddy said we could." What is she thinking, losing a pet is not like replacing piece of gum if it falls out of your mouth onto the ground. You don't just go out and buy another one willy nilly. "Oh mommy I miss Lucy, I want to find Lucy." That's what I want to hear.

"And you will Emma, you will find her. Keep looking and don't stop."

"Okay mama, we'll keep looking."

Back at home the hamster hullaballo continues. Richard is the real hero here. The kids were frantic, looking everywhere, cleaning out closets, dismantling beds, moving bookcases. He had a lot to clean up. Lucky for Richard, little girl furniture from ikea is not that heavy. Sadly they couldn't find her.

When Richard came out of the room he happened upon Emma who was sitting at the computer.
She is viewing a web page and comments to Lily, "We can spread flour on the floor so that we can see her little foot prints and know where she went." INGENIUS, (well not the flour idea but that the girls got on the internet and typed into Google: How To Find Hamsters,) You can find anything on the internet! I am amazed and tickled to see them problem solving and finding solutions on the internet.

Here are the step by step How To Find A Hamster Instructions:

1) Survey house looking for possible hiding places (check. there are way too many hiding places)

2) Look under any boxes or inside boxes (check)

3) Place food in each room and then place tin foil all around so that you can hear the hamster walking. (really, foil? check)

4) Place flour around possible hide outs so that you can see their little foot prints. (no way)

5) Clean out hamsters cage making her bedding comfy so that she wants to return to her home. (check)

6) Sprinkle some of your hamsters favorite foods like sunflower seeds or yogart drops or peanut butter around to entice the hamster to come out. (great idea except for the peanut butter)

**5-6 crack me up. It is like the Hamster is sitting out demanding better food and cage conditions.

In the end, Richard found Lil Lucy nearly four hours later on the stairs cleaning herself. Triumphant children all cheer the return of Lucy to her cage safe and sound. Mom cheers because I don't have to buy another hamster!

6 comments:

Wendy Blocker said...

I'm glad you found Lucy! And while she was still alive! Anyway, I loved your comments on my blog and am looking forward to your blog about the subject. You can express your thoughts very well. Perhaps you can drag a few people (myself included) out of complacency.

Allison said...

Hooray for Dads!! Rodents in the wall are never good. When I was growing up, my friend had a sign perpetually taped to the family room wall. "Whoever finds the stink in the wall- $5.00" They had so many types of rodents, they didn't even know which was trapped-guinnea pigs, mice, hampsters, gerbils, rats and I think they even had ferrets!

Unknown said...

Wasn't it Richard that agreed to the "rodent" in the first place (if I recall the story correctly)? Glad you found her, for Emma's sake. You are such a good and patient mother. I would have gone with:
#7 Open all of the doors and windows and put lots of hamster food OUTSIDE!

Quarantine Coronacation said...

Shelley,
between you and I, #7 sounds pretty good to me.

I have already had my fill of cleaning up after the hamster.

Liz said...

Stacy-I love lil lucy and I am so glad you found her. I feel that I am close to her by reading your blog. I asked Jason for a hamster and he said NO. So I will continue to enjoy yours. You guys are such a cute and amazing family. I love your kids and they are so awesome with mine. Thanks for being around and I feel so grateful to know you guys.

Dani K. said...

oh my gosh sister heath i was laughing so hard when i read that they were reading about it on the internet. then i imagined you laughing with me, and laughed harder. i miss your laugh and i miss you. we need to spend more time with one another like we did in the summer.