Friday, July 10, 2009

Kayak - ak - ak - ak - ak (Think Popeye)

We bought a kayak for the fam! We found it on craig's list fully loaded: seats, paddles, vests for a great price. I couldn't pass it up. The guy we bought it from advertised two tandem kayaks for $950 but when we contacted him he had already sold one. Bummer! I am still looking for one for Rob and Claire.

The moment we put it down, Owen and Clara popped right in and were ready to launch.

Clara and Owen: kayakers in training.



Here I am giving Lily the here's what you do speech. She didn't need much training. She is a natural. Lily, Elyse and I were the first ones out there.

We met a family there who are avid kayakers. Shane and his wife Christine were a bit concerned for us so Shane helped us launch it for the first time.

We took the boys as well. They loved it. Owen was a little nervous but after a while he was helping me paddle and began to relax.
We took the kayak out again on the 4th of July. The water was very choppy that day! In fact we almost tipped over a few times. It made for an adventurous excursion. Here are the Three Graces all decked out and ready to go. They wanted to go together! I need to write a book about these three. They crack me up.

Ocean explorers for sure!

Here they are contemplating jumping in the water for a peek a boo. They were nervous. We had just seen a seal peek his head out of the water for a look at us. Very cool. But I know they were a little nervous about what else might be lurking in those waters.


I can't help but smile when I think about that day and the fun we are gonna have in the future.


Here is a shot of Avery my little swimming champ. She swam for a while in the open sea.

When we went on this little expedition, I saw that we were just a little ways away from Lil Corona. Next time I am gonna take the kayak over there so we can explore the structures in and around that little beach. We can't launch from there but we can kayak over there and I know it is beautiful.

Richard took the boys out for a little teaching expedition. On the 4th the you can fish without a license so he wanted to take advantage because his expired.


Here is Will practicing reeling one in positive thinking,I love that.

Again the water was very choppy and they were drifting south quickly. We need to get ourselves a little anchor. See Lily up ahead. She wanted to go out and help paddle. She loves it like her mama!

5 comments:

Allison said...

What a great family adventure! Little Lily is certainly fearless. Also, Will looks so different to me. He is looking like a big kid now. No fair growing up, Will. No fair.

Cheri' said...

Wow!!! It looks like so much fun. Love the pictures of the girls striking a pose, what explores. Great way to spend time at the beach.

KickButtMommy said...

That is SOO awesome! You will have many adventures in it, I am sure.

Lauren said...

I miss you so bad!!!
I was just telling Adam yesterday that we need to get a pair of kayaks...we have a ton of fresh water springs around here that are inhabited with manatees during the winter. Yesterday we were snorkeling in one and I thought of you.

Unknown said...

How about this one ... "traded in the Chevy for a kay - yak-yak-yak-yak-yak" (think Billy Joel).

What a blast!! Alex spent all day on the 4th in a canoe with another little boy. He would have so much fun with Will in that kayak (but maybe not on the open seas!)