Thursday, July 23, 2009

Southern California Livin'

Yesterday my sister in law took the words right out of my mouth "You gotta love Southern California living!"

Yes!

I wholheartedly agree. I love living here. I am a native, born and raised here until 12, when my dad was transferred to Chicago, another amazing place to live by the way. But I came back as an adult, transferred again from Sacramento, only this time I was married with a child.

I had mixed emotions: excited for the chance to live by my family, my sister and brother and his family lived here, my parents had just relocated from Chicago, I loved the beach, In n Out Burger, the Hollywood Bowl, but I was frustrated with the lack of open land--the juxtaposition of city after city crammed together tight, like a jigsaw puzzle, no one knowing where one began and the other ended except for the dirty freeway sign or dusty marker on the road. I felt the "Storm Watches" on the news was, how can I put this lightly, pitiable. Please, it is sprinkling outside, and there is an anchorwoman (why do they mostly send woman out to do these stories) on the side of the freeway reporting on the great storm we are experiencing. Sorry my dear friends, southern California knows nothing about real weather. I was concerned about what southern Californians considered being the news, I am sorry but Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton are not that important to me but they seem to be in the headlines all the time as does any other celebrity and their troubles. I missed seeing open land, I wanted big back yards and small quaint houses, not big boxy houses and small back yards, I missed the feeling of small towns where you could find Mainstreet, I missed community news.

I too, like some friends I know, thought grass was greener on the other side, felt like life would be better lived else where and looked in the likes of Utah, where houses were cheaper, Montana where the skies were wider, Seattle, where the lands were were wetter, Minnesota, where the lakes are superior, No Ca, where the people are liberaler-er-er, Colorado where the forests were denser, but I have come to realize that I am a So Ca girl through and through. I belong here and will stay. Of course knowing that teachers can't really transfer from Ca or they lose there retirement helps aid the decision as well, but that is another matter entirely.


Regardless, I am happy here and happy to be here. I love that outdoor living is available all year long here. We BBQ in January-- one of my very favorite months of the year in So Ca. I love the ocean and the beaches, I love the cultural opportunities of Los Angeles--recently considered an up and coming art capital of the world--I can hear live music every day of the week if I choose, in multiple venues, I can enjoy the vast landscape that So Ca offers from the beach to the desert to the mountains and in the valleys. Oceans, streams lakes, water falls are all local and available to me, and finally the people, I love the people! All types of people from many different walks of life and many varieties of personalities, all with stories to tell and things to share. If you want a sample of the variety, one can go visit Venice Beach where, I was reminded by a young friend, "there are all kinds there" and yes there are.

One of my favorite activities which makes one think, "Nothing like Southern California Living!" is going to the ocean in the early afternoon, after sleeping in, after traffic, after lunch and staying until the sun slowly sinks her rosy self down and tucks herself into the ocean's vast rippling blanket and says goodnight. It is a glorious time of day, there is something magical about it especially near the water and even more pleasing if your in it. It brings me great joy. Yesterday was one such day.










4 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

My heart belongs to socal too.

Allison said...

Ahhhh, you are making me yearn for the salt air in my hair and watching the sun set into the ocean. . . the best thing about SoCal (except of course the Heath family!)
Missing you this summer!!

Candice said...

I love living here too. I think we all ponder whether or not the grass might be greener on the other side at one point in our lives and come to hard realization that, well, it just isn't. We have it pretty nice here. I think we are actually spoiled.

I missed that great day. I am sorry, I wish I could have shared it with you and your wonderful children.

Quarantine Coronacation said...

We missed you too Candice! Plenty more days ahead! Let's make the most of them.