Saturday, December 26, 2009

Food Glorious Food

BBQ Turkey--I likey!
Once you've had this turkey, you'll never go back to roasting again. Smoked Turkey in a 55 gallon drum is heaven on earth. I've never been a fan of turkey, I've tolerated for the holidays, Thanksgiving mainly, but the real celebration of the Thanksgiving meal was the gravy, I mean, that is what makes the meal right? But now when I have turkey, I will enjoy the meat itself.

Richard heard from a friend the technique of bbq the turkey in a 55 gallon drum and gave it a try. He is hooked.

Since the Mercedes is totaled, and we no longer need the recycled oil for fuel, he converted one of the drums into a bbq and tested it out for our Christmas dinner.

At the bottom of the drum he as a disk that comes from a tractor plow and in this disk he places the fuel--mesquite logs.

He basically hangs the turkey from a rebar a foot and a half above the coals and cooks it as seen below. Then he seals the top so that the smoke stays in the can and flavors the meat. The turkey takes about 2 hours or more, depending on the size, to cook. The meat was moist and flavorful. By far the best turkey meat I have ever eaten.

It was a hit with those that attended, namely Rob and Claire and their girls, my sister Pamela and Elder's Paxman and Fields. It was a great success. Thanks Richard for providing that awesome turkey! I'll never go back.

See the pic of Lily holding "Thomas" long for tom cat. Mitchell found this lil general in the fields behind his house. He is a favorite with the kids. I call him the general because he reminds me of Napolean. He is a little guy but has a big attitude.

1 comment:

Scott & Adie said...

YOU"RE BAAAAACCCKKKK! Yippee.

I've missed your words of wisdom, your tales, your enthusiasm. i love your family and their adventures and charms.

love you
Adrienne