Friday, August 19, 2011

Riomaggiore


First sight after reaching the 

Riomaggiore is the last of the Cinque Terre villages.  It was one of my favorites.  It is just as colorful and vibrant as the other villages, yet sits further away from the more touristy villages of Monterroso and Vernazza. 

 The buildings seem to mulitply, sprouting from on top of one another, stacked like legos.  The streets were vibrant and full of boats.  Not many spoke english as is the case the further you get from touristy areas.  

We explored the streets, I spoke to a few people about rooms to stay when I was to return to hike the Cinque Terre.  I got a few numbers to call back.  In the end I wasn't able to get in a room in the Cinque Terre Villages but instead was able to stay in Porto Venere, a small medieval town built inside a Castle walls just south of Riomaggiore.  I was very pleased with the hostel and my stay there.  

It is from Riomaggiore that we took the Via Dell Amore, a hike from Riomaggiore to Monarola.  It is a lovers walk and the walls in a tunnel are graffitied with Love letters and Locks are clinked all over chain that borders the pathway where lovers lock there love for eternity.  



Candice captures the Dan and Nicole with the colorful background

Some Italians enjoying the afternoon.  

She seems as intrigued about us as we are about her.


What a Chicagoan would say in Italy,  Why don't you park your boat dere on da porch.

walking in to the town from the slip

Some of the colorful boats.

love those streets.  

typical market
typical doorway

Love the color

another view of the streets.

the front of one of the apartments that were renting rooms.  Love the geraniums.  I don't get the dolls.

2 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Oh I just adore all of your pictures. Keep them coming. I want to crawl inside of them.

Scott & Adie said...

Beautiful pictures Stacy!