Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Atsa Italiano: Pasta Party

We should be Italian the way we love to eat in my family. The only italian thing that I can claim is a rather unimpressive italian mama impression which often unveils itself at various times to the wonderment of my children. However, I should be italian because I am passionate about food. The whole experience of it. I love gathering with my family and preparing a dish and then sharing in the experience of eating. I have mentioned that my sister in laws are the best cooks and that If I could, I would rather eat with them then any restaurant.

We had the pleasure of gathering for a family pasta party at Rob and Claire's house last weekend and it one of those celebratory eating experiences in which the process was as much fun as eating the product.

Here is a step by step photo documentary:
Step one:
create your bowl 3cups of flour to 5 eggs and a table spoon of olive oil


Adie, Nicole, me and Claire

Step 2:
Begin mixing the eggs with in your flour bowl and gradually pull more flour from the sides of the bowl into the egg until it is ready to knead.

Dad is supervising

Step 3:
Begin kneading the rest of the flour into the dough. The consistancy should not be tacky.


Knead and Knead and Knead

Step 3
Begin pressing your pasta. Start at the highest setting

Step 4
gradually lower the setting after each pass through the press

Lily with Auntie Adie

Your pasta ribbon gets longer each time. You'll need many hands
Big Bro Scott pitching in

Nicole and Adie getting the pasta ready to be cut
Emma was my special helper
Step 5:
Cut your ribbons to desired width. The press will cut speghetti and other basic pastas

Dan the Man making precision cuts

Step 6:
Hang pasta to dry about 20 min then cook. It only takes about three min to cook.

Claire and Nicci looking lovely with the pasta

Then EAT.

Avery, Emma, Dan, Presley, Nicci, Adie, Scott
Lily, Dad, Rob, me Richard

Clara as our Santa Lucia bringing us dessert

Atsa pasta party. Thanks for the wonderful memories Claire. Your a treasure. A little Italian just for you-- Buena Suera bella luna signorina, Kapeche? That's all the Italian I know and I learned it all from Moonstruck.

I can't wait to have a pasta party of my own. Anyone want to come?



No comments: