Saturday, June 13, 2009

Runaway Bunny

When Mitchell was little, his favorite book was Run Away Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown. I had that book memorized, which doesn't say much because it is pretty short, whether we were snuggled in bed, or as we would wheel around in the stroller, he would turn the pages and I would recite the story of a little bunny who wanted to run away from his mama. I remember not really liking the idea as a young mother. I remember questioning "why would that little bunny want to run away from his mom?" and I didn't want Mitchell to get any ideas. . . But now as a mother of a nineteen year old, now as a mother who has had some life experiences, I understand more completely.

This book is so relevant to my feelings for my little boy who is now a man. My sweet kind hearted boy, you have been a blessing in my life and I cherish every moment with you. I am grateful for the joys and the pains because they both have enriched my life greatly. No matter what you need Mitch, I will be there. I will be who you need me to be, I will go where you need me to go, I will do that which you need me to do, and I will not waver, I will not shrink or turn away, even when you do not want my help, I will be there, always and forever, I will be there for you, for you will always be my boy.

I love you.


"Once there was a little bunny who wanted to run away.
So he said to his mother, “I am running away.”
“If you run away,” said his mother,
“I will run after you.
For you are my little bunny.”
“If you run after me,” said the little bunny,
“I will become a fish in a trout stream and I will swim away from you.”
“If you become a fish in a trout stream,” said his mother,
“I will become a fisherman and I will fish for you.”


“If you become a fisherman,” said the little bunny,
“I will become a rock on the mountain, high above you.”
If you become a rock on the mountain high above me,”
said his mother, “I will become a mountain climber,
and I will climb to where you are.”


“If you become a mountain climber,”said the little bunny,
“I will be a crocus in a hidden garden.”
“If you become a crocus in a hidden garden,”said his mother,
“I will be a gardener. And I will find you.”

“If you are a gardener and find me,” said the little bunny,
“I will be a bird and fly away from you.”

“If you become a bird and fly away from me,” said his mother,
“I will be a tree that you come home to.”

“If you become a tree,” said the little bunny,
“I will become a little sailboat, and I will sail away from you.”
“If you become a sailboat and sail away from me,”said his mother,
“I will become the wind and blow you where I want you to go.”

“If you become the wind and blow me,” said the little bunny,
“I will join a circus and fly away on a flying trapeze.”
“If you go flying on a flying trapeze,” said his mother,
I will be a tightrope walker,and I will walk across the air to you.”



“If you become a tightrope walker and walk across the air,” said the bunny,
“I will become a little boy and run into a house.”
“If you become a little boy and run into a house,”said the mother bunny,
“I will become your mother and catch you in my arms and hug you.”


“Shucks,” said the bunny,
“I might just as well stay where I am and be your little bunny.”
And so he did.
“Have a carrot,” said the mother bunny."

6 comments:

nicole said...

what a sweet post. and, i can't believe mitch is 19!!

Scott & Adie said...

ohhh, you made me cry Stacy. That is such a beautiful post, story, and sentiment. I love you Stacy and I love you Mitchell.

auntie adie

Allison said...

Love love love that boy!! What a lovely post for your Mitchy the Kid! He has been one of my son's greatest blessings. Jake the Snake and Mitchy the Kid. Friends Forever, Partners in crime, Michaelangelo and Leonardo, Red Ranger and Green Ranger, Woody and Buzz, Future Missionaries!!
p.s. Love that picture of Mitchy and his Mom! Who took that. . . oh yeah Me!!!

KickButtMommy said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL post!

Welcome to FarrSouth. . . said...

I LOVE that story and I love your pics to go with it!

Anonymous said...

awesome.