Thursday, June 2, 2011

Hiking The Refugio Mennagio

While in Lake Como, I wanted to go on hike and a bike ride.  The bike ride was not a success because the bike that was rented to me had a broken seat and every time I would bare down on my seat to get up a hill the seat would slip up of down--very frustrating, so instead I took a short bike ride around Verena, took a nap and found a nice spot to sit and paint a very mediocre water color.  Lily likes it however, so I will finish it up for her to put in her room.  The hike on the other hand was wonderful.  The forest in the mountains above Lake Como are full of life and sounds.  There was nice tree coverage as well so when the sun was out it made for a comfortable hike.  I was a bit concerned for my knee as the doctor said that I shouldn't hike on if for a few months, but I couldn't pass up the chance to see the Lake from the elevations above.

 The hike began in Breglia.  The adventure began before that however because trying to catch a bus in Italy is always and adventure.
 My "walking "companion Pauline at the beginning of the trail.  I loved all the vegetation.
 The trail was marked well and easy to follow
 Wild flowers were found through the entire trail
 An old home found along the way
stony pathway
 This part of the trail, higher up the mountain, reminded me of the our NEP at home.
 A shot of Lake Como half way up the trail
 Loved the moss on the trees.  Plant life flouishes in Italy
 Birch trees and aspen trees were along the path ways.  I was surprised.
 Wild strawberries along the way.  Pauline was a bit scared to eat them fearing they were poisonous.  I plopped them in my mouth.  They were itty bitty berries however.
 another shot of the farm house on the way back
 My hiking/"walking" companion Pauline and I
 I loved these little daisys that were found growing everywhere, especially between hard places reminding me that when stuck between a rock and hard place we can flourish.
 Once home, unfortunately the hostel was closed so my plans of kayaking were thwarted, however soaking my feet in Lake Como and a rest by the lake was quite relaxing.  Pauline stripped and took a dive,  I was not quite so willing or free. . .

 Pleased!


2 comments:

Scott & Adie said...

Boy do you look like your mom in that last photo! I'm loving your posts. And I love your free spirited friend out exploring the world in all her glory :)

Candice said...

Stacy, I am so glad you're back!! It looks like you had an amazing time. I am so excited to see the rest of your posts. I have fallen off the wagon for a bit. I got a little sick since being home and had to edit 2 shoots. I'll be posting soon again.
We really missed you and I seriously can not wait to get together and hear your stories. What a fun adventure. I am so proud of you for sticking it out and staying longer. Trip of a life time.
XOXO
Candice