Sunday, July 13, 2008

Minnesota Skies




I am a native Californian. I don't mind that. I am even proud of it. . . sometimes. I love so many things about CA but the skies are NOT one of them. Most of you know what I am talking about, and if any of you have ever flown into Ontario Airport, you most especially know what I am talking about, smog, sm0ke and What? you have mountains? when they show up on a clear day. Yes, there are more clear days now then there were when I lived in Diamond Bar as a kid and we had what they call Smog Alerts. We couldn't play outside because the smog was sooooo bad and we would end up coughing like an asthmatic. Anyway this is not supposed to be a tirade against CA skies, but a celebration of mid-western skies. I moved to Chicago IL when I was 12 years old. My dad was transfered there. We were really excited about the change: we could play in the snow, and own a two story house(I know, I was young then and didn't know better) I absolutely loved IL, the people, the seasons and most especially the skies. Vast skies of blue with big, beefy clouds that were a presence that couldn't be ignored. I would never tire of the skies and what they would express. They were WAY moody: sad, happy, tempestuous, angry, hopeful, menacing. If you don't know what I am talking about, you have never left CA and experienced skies like these.
Some day, if your lucky, you will get to visit MN and experience some real sky!

2 comments:

nicole said...

These shots are beautiful. This post reminds me of Montana skies and summer storms. It is amazing. We should all go there some day to the little cabin!

Allison said...

Great post Stacy! I wish you could stay under these Mn. skies with us all summer!! Love you!