Saturday, May 28, 2011

5/27 Hiking Cinque Terre

Today it was supposed to rain so after wandering the city of Porto Venere and seeing the beauty here, I decided to get my laundry done.  I dressed up (because dressy clothes were the only ones that didn't need a good cleaning) and headed to the lavenderia or Laundry.  It took me to a little town called La Grazie.  La Grazie is on the water and is full of sail boats.  After the sun was breaking through so I decided not to delay my hike and I left around 1 pm to La Spezia to get the train to Cornilia.  I had already walked the last two towns on the Cinque Terre chain and wanted to hike the last three which are much more challenging.  Michael, Robby and Dan took the hike when they were here last week and told me that it would be okay for my knee so off I went.  It was beautiful.  Rain was always a threat so I hustled through it because I didn't want to be on those rocky paths on the cliffs while it was raining.  Lucky for me I made it but for a few sprinkles here and there.  These photos were taken with my cell phone.  I forgot the cords to my camera so I will post others later.  For now this will do.
 my view when I woke up this morning.  The Beautiful city Porto Venere
 La Grazia while I was doing my laundry
 Corniglia of the Cinque Terre.  The people terrace the hills and utilize them for farming.  The path I took is traversed often by the farmers here.
 Example of the rocky path
 look carefully and you can see Corniglia to the right of my hat.  forgive the photos there were taking with cell phone
 One of the many beautiful views while walking the hike.

 Mormon Tea on the trail here in Italy.  

 Coming over the hill to Monterroso

 Path to Monterroso

 Path continues through a grove of Olive trees

 Garden along the path

 Monterroso in the distance

 Arrival on the beach
 Pleased!
All cleaned up and ready to go out for a well deserved meal.  I had a room to myself in this hostel with my own bathroom.  Nice,  Bought the scarf in Lake Como from a local scarf company.  It was made locally like many italian products.  Wish that was happening in our country-- for sure.

No comments: