Sunday, May 29, 2011

Firenze Again!

But that is an enthusiastic "Again" Florence is beautiful and the people are wonderful.  Despite the fact that I dislike where I am staying... A Monastario Delle Benedettine Di Santa Marta run by nuns, which I am embarrassed to say, kind of creeps me out.  I feel like I am in Catholic school and have to watch my Ps and Qs.  The nuns seem stern in their habits, and the fact that they bark at me telling me "Venga,  VEN, VEN!"  I follow promptly wanting to please.  I just brings back all these old memories of being in Catholic School where I was afraid to get my knuckles rapped witha ruler, although I have never been in catholic school so don't know where those feelings are coming from.  My feelings are a dichotomy actually, a cross between feeling like I am in the abbey in Sound of Music and they are just about to sing "How do we solve a problem like Maria" and those catholic school memories that are coming from who knows where.  I would like to change my room/stay for a few reasons...first.  the bed is like a sponge and feels like it is as old as the building which dates back to 1342--that in itself is reason enough to want to stay--pretty cool I say, but what building in Florence isn't dated back that far.  Another disapproval that I have is that they advertised internet and when I got there--Nope, no wifi--Sorry.  Well sorry would be okay if I didn't have to get my reservation # for my Uffizi tickets.  So I have spent an hour roaming Florence looking for an internet spot.  Luckily I found one next to that great little sandwich shop we ate w/ Freya.  The food is good and I can sit for a bit before I go to the Uffizi.   so while sitting here and eating my brushetta and drinking a coke, with ICE!  he actually served it with ice, he knows hot to cater to americans, and listening to a man play the accordian, I say hello to you.  There are free concerts here in Florence and I saw there is one tonight in a museum.  This would make my trip complete:  a classical concert set in a museo.

Ciao

No comments: